Exhibition of the Capital of the First Christian Church

0


This composite photo shows two views of the project.

Photos submitted

WILMINGTON – The First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) at the corner of Columbus and North Walnut streets recently completed a 12-month series of capital projects on their 113-year-old sanctuary building.

The campaign’s final task was to reinstall 16 newly renovated stained glass windows in the church’s cupola (the church has 72 in total). These windows were removed in October 2020 in preparation for the church roof replacement and have been restored to their original beauty by Beauverre Riordan Stained-Glass Studio of Middletown.

The pastor affectionately named the windows facing the cardinal directions after the 12 apostles and the four corner windows for the gospels.

If you walk past the church at night, you will be captivated by the light streaming from the cupola, the church’s reminder to the community of John 1:5, “Light shines in darkness and darkness does not have not won.”

The $250,000 “Raise the Roof” campaign – 10 times the original cost of the building which was constructed in 1908 – included major repairs to the roof, chimney and drain, painting of exposed wood surfaces, including including the Great Cupola, repair and painting of the sanctuary ceilings and walls, technology upgrades to significantly improve live streaming capabilities for worship and special programming, and the final project, the stained glass project in the cupola.

These updates and repairs were accomplished during much of the pandemic shutdown and were made possible through the leadership of church administrators, the hands-on work of a dedicated group of members, and generous member donations. and friends of the historic First Christian Church. Wilmington congregation founded in 1828.

These projects have provided the congregation with a safe and beautiful sanctuary in which to worship for many generations to come. To that end, an act of rededication to the glory of God for the church and the church family was shared during worship on Sunday, December 19.

The First Christian Church would like to express their gratitude to everyone who supported this project and to the talented craftsmen and artisans who completed the job on time and on budget – truly a blessing!

The First Christian Church is led by the Reverend Dr. Tom Stephenson.

This composite photo shows two views of the project.



Share.

Comments are closed.